Now that the Los Angeles Lakers have officially fired Frank Vogel, their next order of business will be finding his replacement as head coach. At exit interviews, general manager Rob Pelinka said that the team’s search process for that person would be “thorough and methodical,” with no set deadline for completion beyond hoping to have a coach in place by the June 23 NBA Draft.
But, as we saw during the team’s last hiring process, that doesn’t mean there won’t be a ton of updates as the Lakers go through the hiring process and interview a variety of candidates. So — with their perpetually chaotic 2019 coaching search that resulted in Vogel in mind — we will be keeping track of who the organization has been linked to on the list below so that we can all keep our heads straight.
Here is an updating tracker of who we know that the organization has been tied to so far.
List of Rumored Lakers Coaching Candidates
- Quin Snyder (Utah Jazz head coach)
- Nick Nurse (Toronto Raptors head coach)
- Juwan Howard (University of Michigan head coach)
- Steve Clifford (former head coach of the Orlando Magic and Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets)
- Terry Stotts (former Portland Trail Blazers head coach)
- Mark Jackson (former Golden State Warriors head coach, current ESPN commentator)
- Darvin Ham (Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach)
- Scott Brooks (former Oklahoma City Thunder and Washington Wizards head coach, current Portland Trail Blazers lead assistant)
- Alex Jensen (Utah Jazz assistant coach)
- Adrian Griffin (Toronto Raptors assistant coach)
- Kenny Atkinson (Golden State Warriors assistant coach, former Brooklyn Nets head coach)
- Charles Lee (Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach)
Coaches Connected to Lakers who were hired elsewhere
- Mike Brown: The Golden State Warriors assistant — and former Lakers and Cavaliers head coach — was repeatedly linked to the Lakers job, but ultimately hired as the next head coach of the Sacramento Kings.
- Doc Rivers: Philadelphia 76ers head coach — While he wasn’t technically hired elsewhere, Rivers will remain in Philly, as confirmed by the team’s president of basketball operations Daryl Morey, ending the speculation tying him to the Lakers.
Below is an updating list of stories and/or podcasts we’ve done analyzing or writing about the reports linking each candidate mentioned above to the Lakers. Bookmark this page and stay tuned for updates with the latest names and developments as the team continues to go through the search process for their 28th head coach in franchise history.