The 2021 Lakers roster is mostly filled up, but the team does have a few spots left for players to compete for a spot alongside LeBron James, Anthony Davis and Russell Westbrook. There have already been a few names rumored for those spots, with surely more to come. Here, we will be tracking who signs, and how many roster spots the team has left below, along with what type of contracts each player is joining on.
The contractual designations for these players are sometimes self-explanatory. Fully guaranteed means exactly what it sounds like, for example, meaning a player on that type of deal who got cut would count against the Lakers’ salary cap and be paid regardless, while a training camp invite is just that: An invite to the expanded, 20-man training camp roster that has to be cut down before the regular season.
Two-way players — who split time between the G League and parent team — don’t count against the 15-man roster in the regular season, but do count towards the 20-player training camp limit.
An Exhibit 10 contract means that if a player on such a deal is cut in training camp, they can receive a bonus of anywhere from $5,000 to $50,000 if they sign with the South Bay Lakers and stay there at least 60 days after clearing waivers. A player on an Exhibit 10 can also be converted to a two-way player if the team has one of its pair of two-way spots open prior to the regular season (for more minutiae like this, check out Larry Coon’s invaluable CBA FAQ). A team can’t have any more than six Exhibit 10 contracts at once.
Below is an updating list of everyone the Lakers have signed prior to training camps kicking off around the league on Sept. 28.
2021 Lakers Training Camp Roster
- LeBron James (Fully guaranteed)
- Anthony Davis (Fully guaranteed)
- Russell Westbrook (Fully guaranteed)
- Dwight Howard (Fully guaranteed)
- Trevor Ariza (Fully guaranteed)
- Wayne Ellington (Fully guaranteed)
- Malik Monk (Fully guaranteed)
- Kent Bazemore (Fully guaranteed)
- Carmelo Anthony (Fully guaranteed)
- Talen Horton-Tucker (Fully guaranteed)
- Kendrick Nunn (Fully guaranteed)
- Rajon Rondo (Fully guaranteed)
- DeAndre Jordan (Fully guaranteed)
- Austin Reaves (Converted from a two-way deal to a fully guaranteed contract)
- Joel Ayayi (Two-way contract)
- Sekou Doumbouya (Two-way contract)
- Chaundee Brown (Exhibit 10 contract)
- Frank Mason III (Exhibit 10 contract)
- Cam Oliver (Exhibit 10 contract)
- Trevelin Queen (Partially guaranteed training camp invite)
Counter: The team currently has one guaranteed spot open (and plan to leave it empty).
Stay tuned and bookmark this page for updates as they happen.