If the dregs of the offseason had you wondering things like “I wonder what Mario Chalmers is doing these days?” or “was the problem with the 2020-21 Lakers that LeBron James didn’t have ENOUGH teammates to yell at?”, then wow do I have good news for you on both fronts.
As it turns out, Chalmers is spending at least part of his days doing pretty much exactly what the rest of us are doing: Scrolling Twitter, looking for Lakers rumors. And upon seeing Tuesday’s report that that team wants to add another playmaker, he had an idea:
Is Chalmers the right playmaker for the Lakers to add, though? Could he at least be worth a workout? Let’s look at some of the pros and cons on his resume.
Why the Lakers should sign Mario Chalmers
- He has experience playing with LeBron James
- He is a point guard
- He shot nearly 40% from three in his four years playing alongside LeBron
- He has apparently forgotten how much LeBron used to yell at him
- His nickname is “Super Mario,” which is pretty awesome
- He would be a lot cheaper than Dennis “The $120 Million Man” Schröder
Why the Lakers should probably not sign Mario Chalmers
- He is 35 years old
- He has not played in the NBA in three years
- He shot 37.9% from the field and 27.7% from three in his final season
- There is a reason LeBron yelled at him so much
In short, it probably couldn’t hurt to give Chalmers a workout, but actually adding him to the roster feels like it’s unlikely. But hey, if LeBron or any of the Lakers need an extra guy for a pickup game, maybe they should at least see if Chalmers is free. It sounds like he’d be up for it.