There has been nothing normal about the 2020 NBA playoff picture. The hottest team in the league may be the last one to earn a playoff spot and it would be easy to believe a dark-horse team could make a run to the NBA Finals.
With that in mind, the most recent SB Nation Reacts survey took a different view of this year’s playoff bracket. Fans were asked to seed the playoffs, 1-16, without the restrictions of conferences. The results have seven teams from the east and 9 from the west.
The Milwaukee Bucks earned the top spot in the league, followed by the Lakers and Clippers:
These seeds would provide an entertaining first round that would feature three east vs. west matchups, and a first round series between Damian Lillard and Paul George/Patrick Beverley. The Lakers, however, would end up playing an opponent they still theoretically could end up playing anyway, depending on how the play-in tournament shakes out.
- Milwaukee Bucks vs. 16. Brooklyn Nets
- Los Angeles Lakers vs. 15. Phoenix Suns
- Los Angeles Clippers vs. 14. Portland Trail Blazers
- Toronto Raptors vs. 13. Philadelphia 76ers
- Boston Celtics vs. 12. Utah Jazz
- Houston Rockets vs. 11. Dallas Mavericks
- Denver Nuggets vs. 10. Indiana Pacers
- Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Miami Heat
But in a larger-picture sense, if ever there were a year to do away with conference alignment, it would seem to be the 2020 NBA bubble. I mean, come on: Does anyone really need to see the Orlando Magic in the playoffs?
To vote in the Reacts surveys and have your voice heard each week, sign up here.