Tania Ganguli of the Los Angeles Times reports that LaVar Ball told her “it doesn't sound like the Lakers will allow the Facebook show to film Lonzo during camp and in the facility,” something he said was “fine.”
“Ball in the Family” premiered its first two episodes earlier this week on Facebook and will release at least eight more, with weekly episodes beginning Sunday, Sept. 10. While Lonzo Ball is the show’s biggest star, the episodes feature his whole family and will be able to record even if they can’t follow Lonzo into training camp or the Lakers facility.
Not only does the Lakers denying the show’s cameras access keep their season from turning into more of a circus, it also avoids setting a precedent that any player can just bring a reality show filming crew into the facility, which would seem to be more of a practical motivating factor than the prior reason. The Lakers’ broadcast partner, Spectrum Sportsnet, also airs “Backstage Lakers,” which would presumably lose some of its value if another camera crew was also following the Lakers around on a regular basis.
For all those reasons and more this move makes sense for the Lakers, and it’s probably an encouraging sign for those worried that he’d be too much of a distraction for the team that LaVar Ball seems to have taken the denial in stride.