The Los Angeles Lakers are set to make the next major decision in their rebuild under Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka, making their selection with the No. 2 pick of the 2017 NBA Draft Thursday night.
It’s been an insane week of Lakers news, with D’Angelo Russell being shipped off along with the contract of Timofey Mozgov to the Brooklyn Nets. The Lakers are moving full steam ahead, following the vision of a new front office.
Outside of the obvious draft chatter, the bigger story has been the future of Paul George, whose days in Indiana Pacers are clearly numbered. He’s informed Indiana that he plans on leaving as a free agent, and prefers the Lakers as his destination. That’s created a chaotic news cycle, and he’s only one of the star players in trade discussions even as the NBA Draft gets underway.
Kristaps Porzingis, Jimmy Butler and all sorts of trade scenarios are on the table, and it’s set up one of the most highly-anticipated drafts in years.
Most mock drafts project Lonzo Ball to the Lakers, but Josh Jackson is still very much a possibility, and De’Aaron Fox could end up being the point guard they decide to hand the keys to. The only thing that’s certain is the NBA offseason has been bananas, and free agency doesn’t even start until July 1.
Enjoy the community thread, and be respectful to one another. It’s been a stressful few days for Lakers fans, so let’s stay civil and collectively enjoy a wild night of NBA action without a single bounce of a ball. Our mods are doing their best to keep it clean, so give them a helping hand.
Check back in for pick-by-pick live results as the night goes on for both rounds of the draft. ESPN’s draft coverage begins at 4 p.m. PT.
- Markell Fultz - Philadelphia 76ers (via Boston Celtics)
- Lonzo Ball - Los Angeles Lakers
- Jayson Tatum - Boston Celtics (via Philadelphia 76ers)
- Josh Jackson - Phoenix Suns
- De’Aaron Fox - Sacramento Kings
- Jonathan Isaac - Orlando Magic
- Lauri Markkanen - Chicago Bulls (via Minnesota Timberwolves)
- Frank Ntilikina - New York Knicks
- Dennis Smith, Jr. - Dallas Mavericks
- Zach Collins - Portland Trail Blazers (from Pelicans, via Bulls)
- Malik Monk - Charlotte Hornets
- Luke Kennard - Detroit Pistons
- Donovan Mitchell - Utah Jazz (via Denver Nuggets)
- Bam Adebayo - Miami Heat
- Justin Jackson - Sacramento Kings (via Portland Trail Blazers)
- Justin Patton - Minnesota Timberwolves (via Chicago Bulls)
- DJ Wilson - Milwaukee Bucks
- TJ Leaf - Indiana Pacers
- John Collins - Atlanta Hawks
- Harry Giles - Sacramento Kings (from Grizzlies, via Nuggets, Cavaliers, Blazers)
- Terrance Ferguson - Oklahoma City Thunder
- Jarrett Allen - Brooklyn Nets (via Washington Wizards)
- OG Anunoby - Toronto Raptors (from Clippers, via Bucks)
- Tyler Lydon - Denver Nuggets (via Utah Jazz)
- Andzejs Pasecniks - Philadelphia 76ers (from Raptors, via Magic)
- Caleb Swanigan - Portland Trail Blazers (via Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Kyle Kuzma - Los Angeles Lakers (from Celtics, via Nets)
- Tony Bradley - Utah Jazz (from Rockets, via Lakers)
- Derrick White - San Antonio Spurs
- Josh Hart - (from Warriors, via Jazz)