Amidst a constant stream of trade rumors and free agency whispers, Los Angeles Lakers guard D'Angelo Russell and Indiana Pacers star Paul George have finally joined forces. New Era Caps announced Tuesday that Russell was one of their three new brand ambassadors (along with Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green and Washington Wizards guard John Wall) that will join George (who has been with New Era for three years) in endorsing the headwear.
New Era will be providing the official caps that rookies wear at next month's 2017 NBA Draft, where the Lakers will select second and 28th overall. George and Russell both endorsing New Era obviously doesn't necessarily mean they're destined to team-up on the Lakers as well, but it also doesn't mean that won't happen either.
It's also likely that every single time these two appear in s press release together (or George works out with Julius Randle) it's going to be picked over and used to fuel conspiracy theories, so we might as well embrace it.
Let's just connect some dots:
- Russell and George endorse caps.
- The Lakers need cap space to sign George if they don't trade for him.
- If you squint, the "s" in "caps" could be an abbreviation for "space."
- Russell and George endorse cap space.
- Russell and George endorse the Lakers waiting and signing George into cap space instead of trading for him.
Holy crap. We either just blew this conspiracy wide-open, or the offseason has made me lose my mind. Probably the latter.