Gasol initially felt soreness in his foot about playing two-on-two Saturday and the team doctors re-examined his foot earlier Sunday. Earlier in the week Gasol had ruled out only Friday's game against the Indiana Pacers, but with the setback, will now play Friday the earliest when the Washington Wizards visit Staples Center. Mike D'Antoni is "hopeful" Gasol will return against the Wizards, via Kevin Ding of the O.C. Register.
The Lakers host the Sacramento Kings tonight and visit the Phoenix Suns Monday in a back-to-back. With the Lakers having Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday off it could provide a window for Gasol to fully recover after tearing his plantar fascia roughly six weeks ago in Brooklyn.
With the initial recovery window being six-to-eight weeks, Gasol is still on track to make it back in time to help the Lakers make a final push through the remaining schedule. Pau will undergo an ultrasound on his foot Tuesday, which should reveal more about his return timetable.
- Follow this author on Twitter @DrewGarrisonSBN
More on the Lakers:
- Roundtable: What is the Los Angeles Lakers' offensive identity?
- The Nash-Bryant Role Reversal
- Breaking down Jamison's dagger against the Pacers
- Jordan Hill injury: Could return by late April
- Buoyed by great role player performances, the Lakers stayed effective without Kobe Bryant
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lwrrYmq6hI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>