Starring: New Lakers Ramon Sessions, Christian Eyenga, and Jordan Hill. On the Trade Deadline, the Lakers made some tough moves to improve the team. Most notable is the addition of Ramon Sessions, who should be a great fit on the team, and takes the team to another level on paper. What we lost was a consummate professional in Derek Fisher:
Fish was the guy who called the players meeting, said they all had to come together. And they did.
Derek Fisher has the highest three-point field goal percentage in NBA Finals history. He ranks second in Finals three-pointers made and he's played in 209 playoff games - fourth highest in NBA history.
Although difficult, what the Lakers have now should be a clear upgrade:
But what they gained was so much more. Point guard hasn't been a hole, it's been a wound. A gaping abcess rotting away that you could see killing the Lakers every time they faced a Chris Paul, a Steve Nash, even lesser guards. They need a point guard to run Mike Brown's offense, and they need a guard who can at least stay in front of the opponent. Fisher couldn't do that. It happens. This is a more complete team with Sessions, a capable non-star who can have nights of brilliance and deliver the right pass, but isn't so big as to take Bryant's shots.
In other news, Pau Gasol sings, and makes a video for Laker Fans, Portland rebuilds in a day, Nene gets traded,and the Clippers hold a players only meeting after their latest meltdown.
Much more after the jump...
- Lakers send Derek Fisher to Rockets - latimes.com
- Up next for Lakers: Friday vs. Minnesota - latimes.com
- Friday preview: vs. Timberwolves (22-22) - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- NBA teams put winning first at trade deadline - latimes.com
- Lakers miss the point in trading Derek Fisher by Bill Plashke - latimes.com
- Lakers wanted Michael Beasley, but Timberwolves didn’t want Derek Fisher’s future salary - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Pau Gasol expresses happiness at staying put - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Luke Walton memories: great teammate, victim of year-long stalking nightmare - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Farewell, Derek Fisher - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Lakers: Younger, quicker, temporarily sadder - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Longtime Laker Derek Fisher headed to Houston for forward Jordan Hill - latimes.com
- Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions for Luke Walton, draft pick - latimes.com
- New point guard’s name is pronounced ‘Ra-MAHN’ - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Lakers land point guard Ramon Sessions - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
Other Lakers Blogs:
- Searching for Slava: THE OLD GUARD
- No Matter the Reasons, Losing Derek Fisher is Difficult to Accept | Lakers Nation
- Lakers vs. Timberwolves Pre-Game Report | Lakers Nation
- Forum Blue And Gold " Saying Goodbye To A Favorite
- Video: Mitch Kupchak Explains Lakers’ Trading Procedures | Lakers Nation
- Pau Gasol: Happy to Continue Wearing the Lakers Uniform [Video] | Laker Nation
- NBA Trade Deadline Recap: Lakers Trade Derek Fisher, Luke Walton | Lakers Nation
- Lakers Make Necessary Split With Derek Fisher - Lake Show Life
- Mitch Kupchak is on Point: Adding Sessions, Eyenga | Lakers Nation
- Lakers trade Derek Fisher, acquire Ramon Sessions - Inside the Lakers
- Lakers Nation Wishes Luke Walton Farewell | Lakers Nation
- Derek Fisher Dealt To Rockets - Lake Show Life
- Forum Blue And Gold " Changing Of The Guard: Lakers Acquire Sessions, Trade Fisher
- Lakers Nation Bids Farewell, Thank You to Derek Fisher | Lakers Nation
- Lakers Land Ramon Sessions, Lose Luke Walton - Lake Show Life
- Trade Deadline Day Wrap Up " Lakers Blog
- Nuggets Swap Nene For McGee " Hang Time Blog
- Reports: Blazers Fire McMillan " Hang Time Blog
- Fisher Trade Ends An Era In L.A. " Hang Time Blog
- Trail Blazers Send Camby To Houston " Hang Time Blog
- Mitch Kupchak on Derek Fisher, Ramon Sessions deals (video) - Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
- Lakers trade deadline: How it went down - Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
- What Derek Fisher meant to the Lakers - Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
- Sources: Lakers trade Derek Fisher - Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
- Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Clippers - Recap - March 15, 2012 - ESPN
- Los Angeles Lakers deal Derek Fisher, get Ramon Sessions from Cleveland Cavaliers - ESPN Los Angeles
- Washington Wizards acquire Nene in three-team trade - ESPN
- Portland Trail Blazers waive former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden - ESPN
- Deron Williams makes it clear he will become free agent
- "Linsanity" is dead. Welcome to Woodson’s Knicks.
- Nuggets reportedly close to deal with Wilson Chandler
- Baseline to Baseline recaps: Clippers collapse leads to a lot of talk
- Surveying trade deadline landscape: League’s second tier got better
- NBA trade deadline report cards: Portland gets an "A"
- Moves we didn’t expect: Derek Fisher traded by Lakers
- Lakers get point guard, trade for Cavaliers’ Ramon Sessions
- Knicks Fans Suing Time Warner Cable for Missing Out on ‘Linsanity’
- Andrew Bynum: Relationship With Kobe Bryant ‘Much Better Than in the Past’
- Jeremy Lin Ready to Accept a Reduced Role on the Knicks
- Andrew Bogut Doesn’t Think He Will Play Again This Season
- Clippers Held a Team Meeting Following Loss to Phoenix Suns
- The Blazers are officially parting ways with Greg Oden | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- Eye On Basketball - CBSSports.com NBA Trade Deadline: Winners and Losers
- Eye On Basketball - CBSSports.com Blazers Brass: Frustrated Nate McMillan was fired because he lost his team
- A new Knicks coach might mean less Jeremy Lin, and more Baron Davis | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- How the Trail Blazers totally nailed their one-day rebuild | The Basketball Jones | Blogs | theScore.com
- Things of Note for March 16, 2012 | The Basketball Jones | Blogs | theScore.com
- NBA Trade Deadline Day: Winners and losers | The Basketball Jones | Blogs | theScore.com
- The Point Forward " Posts Lakers all business with deadline deals "
- The Point Forward " Posts Wizards, Nuggets pull deadline stunner "
- The Point Forward " Posts The Blazers tank, the Rockets go big, the Lakers say goodbye "
- The Point Forward " Posts Nets get Gerald Wallace, but future still rests on Deron Williams "
- Video: Pau Gasol Happy to Stay With Lakers | Lakers Nation
- Video: Mitch Kupchak Discusses Trading Derek Fisher | Lakers Nation
- Lakers Nation Remembers Derek Fisher and His Top 5 Moments | Lakers Nation
- Video: Pau Gasol sings The Fray’s ‘How to Save a Life’ | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- Video: The Gerald Wallace trade makes a 7-year-old girl cry | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- Video: Kenyon Martin still has some hops left | ProBasketballTalk
- Video: Lin and Landry give you a handshake tutorial | The Basketball Jones | Blogs | theScore.com