With the trade deadline fast approaching on Thursday, teams all over the League are looking to improve their squads. All basketball eyes are on Orlando as they deal with the Dwight Howard situation. Will the Magic hold off the suitors and gamble with Howard leaving for nothing in the summer, or will they trade him and begin the reconstruction process? Lots of different scenarios could happen League-wide in the next 72 hours, which makes for exciting and nervous times.
As for things out in the West, the Lakers have their own share of questions that need answers. Caught squarely in the fire of all of this has been Pau Gasol, who has been mentioned all season long in trade scenarios since the nixed CP3 deal. The Spaniard has taken most of the rumors in stride, save for a few games and moments where he didn't look like the Gasol of old. With the backing of Kobe Bryant and the rest of the team, Pau Gasol has quietly played great consistent ball these past couple of games, reminding us once again, that two 7-footers are better than one.
Barring an unforeseen major-move by the Lakers, it appears the FO is more inclined for small moves that benefit the Big3 and cut salary off the books. Once such move is the rumored Felton for Blake deal. Ken Berger reports:
Rival executives believe the Blazers are interested in exploring a swap of Felton to the Lakers for Steve Blake, with L.A. sending another piece to make the salaries match and compensate the Blazers for getting the better player and future cost savings in the deal. The Portland coaching staff and front office are comfortable with Blake, who could provide a calming presence as the team battles through numerous distractions.
For now, expect similar reports of Lakers looking for small moves, but don't completely discount the Franchise's ability to pull of the blockbuster trade, as history can attest to that. Let's hope the Lakers remember they have a game tonight against the Memphis Grizzlies, the first of a back-to-back, and set the trade talk on the back burner.
↓ Much more after the jump ↓
- Bynum Gets the Ball | Lakers Blog
- Laker Girls Blog 03/12/12 - Anncell | Lakers.com
- The trade deadeline cometh: Three basic choices for the Lakers | ESPN LA
- Lakers-Grizzlies Preview | ESPN LA
- Give 'em some love | ESPN LA
- Lakers' Mitch Kupchak: Jim Buss deserves more credit, less criticism | LA Times
- Unrealistic for Lakers to acquire Dwight Howard or Deron Williams | LA Times
- Lakers-Celtics rivalry in its last breath | LA Times
- Times' Mike Bresnahan: Don't expect Lakers to trade Pau Gasol | LA Times
- Lakers unwilling to trade Pau Gasol for Rajon Rondo | LA Times
- Was Kobe as a decoy the real thing? | OC Register
- Lakers Tuesday preview: at Memphis Grizzlies (24-16) | OC Register
- Preps to NBA: Who are the stars? | OC Register
- Notebook: Bulls 104, Knicks 99
- Howard remains biggest chip on table as trade deadline nears
- Grieving Jefferson leads Jazz past Pistons 105-90
- Notebook: Spurs 112, Wizards 97
- Notebook: Bobcats 73, Hornets 71
- Cavs' Varejao still out with broken wrist
- Spurs' guard Ford retires after latest injury
- Magic trying to please Dwight Howard
- Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose lashes out at referees over non-calls
- Rose pours in 32 as red-hot Bulls put away fading Knicks
- Al Jefferson powers Jazz past Pistons hours after grandmother's death
- Rudy Gay: Takes Elbow to Head
- TJ Ford retires from NBA after latest spinal scare
- Lakers-Grizzlies Preview
- For the Lakers, the smart trade might not always be the best trade
- Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak sticks up for boss Jim Buss
- Why did Celtics win their first year together while Heat fell short, Clippers struggle?
- Report: Blazers still interested in trading Raymond Felton to Lakers
- Why won’t Orlando trade Howard? He killed the market.
- Report: Magic working on three-team deal to get Monta Ellis
- Remembering when Shumpert was part Doberman, part kitten
- Reports: Portland shopping Crawford to Clippers, Bobcats
- Report: Injured or not, Warriors may make run at Andrew Bogut
- Report: Brandon Jennings on the trade block "for right price"
- Report: Howard likes Clippers, Heat. Please make this stop.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony didn’t want J.R Smith on Knicks
Dime Mag / SLAM Online
- Chris Kaman Apparently Killed a Bobcat, Put it on Twitter | Dime Magazine
- We Reminisce: Allen Iverson Crosses Michael Jordan | Dime Magazine
- NBA Report: Magic Discussing Mega Deal To Get Monta Ellis | Dime Magazine
- Report: Dwight Howard Blocking Potential Magic/Bulls Trade | SLAM Online
- Report: Dwight Howard Interested in Miami Heat, LA Clippers | SLAM Online
- Raja Bell Didn’t Play for the Utah Jazz Due to ‘Internal Matters’ | SLAM Online
- Report: Lakers, Celtics Discussed a Rajon Rondo Trade | SLAM Online
Blogs and Other Links
- Metta World Peace Energized By Celtics' Talk | Lakers Nation
- Rumor Mill: Lakers Interseted in Steve Blake, Raymond Felton Trade? | Lakers Nation
- A look at Boston’s late game collapse | NBA Playbook
- Magic Johnson Had Passing Skills | Forum Blue & Gold
- Report: Grizzlies F Rudy Gay suffers 'mild concussion' | Eye On Basketball
- Report Card: Bulls win on the boards and Mike D'Antoni's strategy whiffs | Eye On Basketball
- Darrell Bailey is 'Clipper Darrell' again | Eye On Basketball
- Danny Granger uncertain whether Pacers will trade him | Eye On Basketball
- Report: Kings unlikely to extend Tyreke Evans, could pursue trade | Eye On Basketball
- Rumor: Dwight Howard interested in Heat, Clippers if he hits free agency | Eye On Basketball
- Report: Lakers, Celtics talked Rondo swap | Eye On Basketball
- Dwyane Wade Crosses Up Kirk Hinrich, And All We Talk About Is LeBron | Shaky Ankles