The Lakers come home from their disappointing 1-2 road trip to face their storied (and historic) rivals, the 21-18 Boston Celtics. Both teams are as old as time and both have struggled on the road, with Boston a measly 5-10 away from TD Garden, only slightly better than the Lakers' 7-14 record away from Staples Center.
Each team certainly has its share of stars about to walk into the sunset of their careers. Fisher is 37, Kobe Bryant is 33 and Metta World Peace is 31.
The Celtics arrived in Los Angeles as something of an antiques road show, toting Ray Allen (36), Kevin Garnett (35) and Paul Pierce (34).
Contrary to popular belief, this is still a great rivalry as far as the players are concerned.
"For a while there, it didn’t mean as much as it means now," Fisher said Saturday. "But with what they have been able to accomplish in the last four years and what we’ve been able to accomplish in the last four, five years, it’s big and it’s back and it’s good for the game.
"And despite their record, our record and what people think about our teams as we stand today, the reality is the last four years, these two teams have won three championships (Celtics in 2008, Lakers in 2009, 2010.) It’s still pretty important.
"All the main characters in those movies are still here."
Lately they've been alike in other ways as well, with trade talks surrounding Pau Gasol and Rajon Rondo.
The Lakers beat the Celtics in their last outing, one of the few road games the Lakers have won, so the green goblins will definitely be looking for revenge. Brace yourselves.
Elsewhere in the NBA, Ricky Rubio was injured near the end of Friday's game with the Lakers and was diagnosed with a torn ACL in his left knee after an MRI Saturday morning; he's done for the season and will be out of the Summer Olympics for Spain's National Team; J.R. Smith is not very smart and $25K poorer; and the Lakers apparently talk too damned much.
↓ More after the jump ↓
- Up next for the Lakers: Sunday vs. Boston
- Lakers vs. Celtics: Still the NBA's most colorful rivalry
- Mike Brown's apology to Kobe Bryant is mind-boggling
- The Forum: Lakers vs. Celtics, and Gasol on the block - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPNLA
- Lakers vs. Celtics: What to watch with ESPN Boston - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPNLA
- PodKast: Nelson George, director of "The Announcement" - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPNLA
- Ricky Rubio injury -- what happens next? - ESPN
- Los Angeles Lakers' Andrew Bynum ready to rumble with Boston Celtics - ESPNLA
- Shelburne: Same old story for Lakers, Celtics - ESPNLA
- Source -- Los Angeles Lakers told to curtail 'external chatter' - ESPNLA
- Boston Celtics' Chris Wilcox out indefinitely with cardiac issue - ESPN Boston
- Minnesota Timberwolves' Ricky Rubio out for season with torn ACL - ESPN
- Weekend Dime -- Latest trade-deadline chatter - ESPN
- Wolves' Ricky Rubio out for season with ACL tear
- Josh Smith wants to be traded from Atlanta, but who’s buying? | Ball Don't Lie
- Dwight Howard among five NBA trade scenarios to watch as deadline nears
- Christian Laettner could owe as much as $30 million to sports stars, corporations | Ball Don't Lie
- Loss of Ricky Rubio hurts surging Timberwolves, but especially Spain - Ian Thomsen
- LeBron James' 'Decision' should serve as stark warning to Dwight Howard - Ian Thomsen
- Knicks' J.R. Smith fined $25K for tweeting racy photo
- Hornets shopping Chris Kaman; Magic at odds over Dwight Howard - Sam Amick
- NBA trade watch: Orlando bluffing about Howard? West contenders search for pieces
- Bulls’ Derrick Rose ‘Sick And Tired’ Of Hearing Dwight Howard Rumors | SI Tracking Blog
- The Point Forward " Posts March 9: Latest NBA trade buzz "
The O.C. Register
- Sunday preview: vs. Celtics (21-18) - Lakers blog
- Lakers ready to rumble with Celtics on Sunday
- Fans aside, Lakers labor for good reason
- Brown: Hit open shots to help out big men
- Brown: Film session wasn’t an airing-out session - Lakers blog
- It’s the Celtics and Lakers revisited - Lakers blog
- Rubio’s injury puts things in perspective for Pau Gasol - Lakers blog
- The crazy schedule could really mess with playoff seeding
- The fall of the Portland Trail Blazers
- Jason Terry says "it’s time for a change" when it comes to the Mavs
- Marcus Camby shoves Kevin Saraphin, ejected in near-brawl
- The Lakers Finally Get What They Need; Kyrie Irving Is Clutch
- Breaking News: Ricky Rubio Out For Season With Torn ACL
- To Trade Or Not To Trade: Dallas’ Lamar Odom Dilemma
- Heir Jordan: MJ’s Sons Let You Walk In Their Shoes – Episode 1, Parts 1 & 2
- Where’s Jerry Maguire? 5 NBA Players That Need To Change Teams
- LAKERS: Lakers Gameday | 03/11/12 | Celtics
- These Lost Lakers Are Running Out of Time | Lakers Nation
- Biggest Problem Facing Lakers is Lack of Consistency | Lakers Nation
- This Season is a Moment of Truth for Kobe | Lakers Nation
- 20 Second Timeout: Comparing the Nash Effect with the Bryant Effect
- Eye On Basketball - CBSSports.com Report: Lakers instructed to cut 'external chatter'
- Searching for Slava: POST-ITS FROM THE EDGE
- 20 Second Timeout: Why Do the Lakers Squander so Many Leads and Why do They Play Poorly on the Road?
- 20 Second Timeout: Kevin Ding Provides Insight Regarding the Challenges that Kobe Bryant has Overcome