Kobe Bryant would not commit to playing in the Los Angeles Lakers' season opener, which will be against the Los Angeles Clippers on October 29th. Bryant sat down with television host Jimmy Kimmel for "Kobe Up Close", a charity event benefiting the Kobe & Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation.
The Lakers and Bryant have not announced an official update on the injury, but are expected to meet in August to gauge progress. Without a full update and still over two months before the season tips off, there's no reason for either side to circle a return date to race against.
Despite the setback from the injury, Kobe's focus is still one thing, getting more of "that jewelry." In case there were any questions -- which there shouldn't be, this is Kobe Bryant we're talking about here -- "that jewelry" would be championship rings to add to his collection.
Optimism has surrounded Bryant's recovery over the last month. While Kobe was in China on a summer Nike tour he revealed that they took a "calculated risk" in his Achilles surgery to expedite the process. Bryant has since claimed they have "shattered" the recovery timetable.
More from Silver Screen and Roll:
- Free agents doubt Lakers are 'cutting edge', according to report
- Jim Buss says Dwight Howard was never a Laker
- Lakers coach discusses Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix Suns influence on offense
- Lakers news: Nick Minnerath invited to Lakers training camp, according to report
- Lakers news: Mike D'Antoni urged Jordan Hill to work on jump shot