Feb 26, 2012; Orlando, FL, USA; Western Conference guard Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers (24) reacts in the third quarter to an injury to his nose on a hard foul against the Eastern Conference all-stars in the 2012 NBA All-Star Game at the Amway Center. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-US PRESSWIRE
The big story of the day still revolves around Kobe Bryant's nose and now-diagnosed concussion, which is likely to keep him out of tonight's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves.While a broken nose would hardly put Kobe on the bench, a piece of paper, the NBA's new concussion policy, may do just that.
According to the policy set in motion this season, after a player is symptom-free for 24 hours, he must complete a series of steps to confirm he's healthy enough for competition. The steps are increasing stages of exertion from a stationary bike to jogging to agility work to non-contact drills while ensuring the symptoms didn't return after each stage.
Considering Kobe was just diagnosed yesterday, there's strong doubt that he'll be suited up to play tonight. But stranger things have happened. Mike Brown is going along as if there will be no change.
"I don’t care what I’m portrayed as," Wade said after Miami’s first practice following the league’s All-Star break. "It’s unfortunate, obviously. I don’t want to ever hurt anybody in this game, especially on a freak play like that. It’s unfortunate. I send my apologies. But it’s not intentional. If it’s something I did intentionally, it’d be a different story."
Andrew Bynum is ready to play after sitting out all but 5 minutes of the All Star game. He says his knee is "all good". Let's hope he's right; Devin Ebanks has been recalled from the D-Fenders; Metta World Peace is not very good; according to his mid-season report card, neither is Derek Fisher.
↓ More after the jump ↓
Los Angeles Times
- Lakers' Kobe Bryant has concussion, might not play Wednesday
- Andrew Bynum cleared to play against Minnesota
- Dwyane Wade's hard foul on Kobe Bryant unnecessary
- Lakers midseason report card: Metta World Peace is unreliable
- Lakers mid-season report card: Derek Fisher a step behind
- Lakers Coach Mike Brown has his hands full
- Metta World Peace appears in "Think like a Man"
- Lakers Schedule Softens " Lakers Blog
- Kobe Bryant Injury Update " Lakers Blog
- Bynum Ready to Play Wednesday " Lakers Blog
- NBA Notebook: Wolves 109, Clippers 97
- Outlining the NBA’s concussion policy - ESPN Los Angeles
- Kobe Bryant diagnosed with a concussion - ESPN Los Angeles
- Statistically speaking, how much better are the Lakers defensively? - ESPN Los Angeles
- Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade apologizes to Kobe Bryant for All-Star Game foul - ESPN Los Angeles
- New Jersey Nets coach Avery Johnson -- Mark Cuban, Dallas Mavericks could steal Deron Williams - ESPN Dallas
- Phil Jackson Q&A: Michael Jordan's flu game - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
- Chicago Bulls Derrick Rose said winning more important than MVP award - ESPN Chicago
- Dallas Mavericks' Lamar Odom to miss at least Wednesday's game - ESPN Dallas
Orange County Register
- Lakers Wednesday matchup: vs. Minnesota Timberwolves (18-17) - Lakers blog
- Kobe must be cleared by NBA concussion protocol - Lakers blog
- Lakers can’t allow Ricky Rubio to play pretty - Lakers blog
- Local guys in the NBA - The Orange County Register
- Mike Brown preparing for Kobe to face Minnesota - The Orange County Register
- Andrew Bynum on right knee: ‘All good’ - The Orange County Register
- Wade says he apologized to Bryant
- Rose's last-minute jumper leads Bulls past Hornets
- Odom not back with Mavericks, no talk of buyout
- Timberwolves rally in 4th to beat Clippers 109-97
- Allen, Garnett lead Celtics past Cavaliers 86-83
- Dwyane Wade says he apologized to Kobe Bryant for All-Star foul - NBA
- Dwyane Wade turns NBA All-Star Game into must-see competition - Ian Thomsen
- Derrick Rose: All-Star Game Not Right Time And Place To Dance | SI Tracking Blog
- The Point Forward: Posts Numbers Game: How Dallas could get Dwight Howard AND Deron Williams
- Stats Don't Lie: Pau Gasol Not Being Used To Maximum Efficiency
- Lakers Trade Rumors: Adding Kirk Hinrich a Possibility for the Lakers?
- Lakers Call Devin Ebanks Back Up from D-League D-Fenders
- Dwight Howard Enjoys These Lakers Trade Rumors & This Opportunity
- Dwight Howard: "I Want to be Kobe Bryant"
- Miami players talk about Wade’s hard All-Star Game foul on Kobe
- Say it ain’t so: Brandon Roy reportedly considers comeback
- Paul George calls Dunk Contest "a joke"
- Orlando fans make a music video asking Dwight Howard to stay in Orlando
- Celtics finding other teams interested in Ray Allen
- Kobe’s concussion symptoms linger, may keep him out Wednesday
- Could Dallas get Deron Williams and Dwight Howard? Yes, but…
- Forum Blue And Gold " How Much Can The Lakers Improve?
- Data Crunchers Look to Quantify Chemistry in N.B.A. - NYTimes.com
- Would Wallace's Un-Retirement Help the Lakers? - NYTimes.com
- The 10-Day N.B.A. Contract - A Tiny Window Closes Quickly - NYTimes.com