This weekend's All Star festivities feature a whole host of NBA luminaries, but it looks like all eyes are on one Dwight Howard. Questions still remain about where he'll end up this season, whether it's Orlando or somewhere else. But right now, it seems Dwight just wants to enjoy the weekend and show the world what his city has to offer. Good for him. Plenty of time for that other stuff next week.
For now, Howard's defensive mastery extends to rejecting all questions about his future as the league's soon-to-be pre-eminent free agent. He's relentlessly rebounding from the perception that he already has one massive size 18 shoe out of the I-4 corridor. And he's shutting down conventional wisdom that suggests his mood swings are holding the franchise hostage until he decides whether to force his way out of Orlando in the coming weeks or commit long-term like Mickey.
Would you root for the Clippers if they were in the Finals?
"What type of question is that to ask me?" he said. "Now, I’m glad I was sick the other day and didn’t have to hear this stuff."
So you would root for the Heat?
"Huh?" Bryant said, an exasperated look coming over his face.
I mean, if you’re not in it…
"I’ll be on an island somewhere, how about that?" Bryant said.
This is Kobe's 14th All Star appearance and he's looking to help the West win again this year, perhaps even bringing home the MVP trophy for an unprecedented 5th time. A-Rod says Kobe considered retirement before getting his innovative knee procedure in Germany last summer. Say what?
Andrew Bynum is participating in his first All Star Weekend, something that's been a long-standing goal for him. Please everyone, get out your prayer beads. The last thing the Lakers need is Bynum getting injured during a freaking showcase.
So, anyone hear the news about Rasheed Wallace?
↓ Much more after the jump ↓
- Kobe Bryant an All-Star, Take 14 - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
- Lakers look fatigued heading into All-Star break - latimes.com
- With Paul, sky would be limit for Lakers - The Orange County Register
- Helene Elliott: Up-and-down Lakers slide into the All-Star break - latimes.com
- Kobe Bryant's connection to Pau Gasol stretches back to 2007 - Lee Jenkins - SI.com
- Bynum’s career headed in right direction - The Orange County Register
- New podKast: The Lakers at the halfway point - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
- Dwyane Wade Says He Wants Kobe Taking A Game’s Last Shot | Dime Magazine
- Forum Blue And Gold " Kobe’s First All-Star Game
- Lakers vs. Wolves Ticket Giveaway – Feeling Lucky? | Lakers Nation
- Alex Rodriguez: Kobe Thought About Retirement | Lakers Nation
- Kobe the owner wouldn't settle for overlooking Lin - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
All Star Happenings
- All-Star 2012 Roster | NBA.com
- LAKERS: Lakers Video Player - Kobe talks to Craig Sager
- LAKERS: Lakers Video Player - Bynum talks to Craig Sager
- LAKERS: 2012 All-Star Practice in Orlando
- Friday's All-Star Mini-Movie | NBA.com
- 2012 NBA All-Star Weekend -- Jeremy Evans of Utah Jazz wins slam dunk competition - ESPN
- NBA -- Dwight Howard and Orlando Magic wedded in All-Star bliss - ESPN
- Foot Locker Three-Point Contest | All-Star 2012 | NBA.com
- Kevin Love works overtime to win Three-Point Contest | ProBasketballTalk
- Tony Parker is your 2012 Skills Challenge champion | ProBasketballTalk
- Grading Dunk Contest dunks: Evans and Budinger get an A | ProBasketballTalk
- Howard becomes center of attention - The Orange County Register
- Lakers and Clippers join forces for All-Star game - The Orange County Register
- Kobe overcomes bad stomach, can’t ignore questions - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Photos: Dwight Howard’s NBA All-Star Weekend | Dime Magazine
- Top 10 NBA Dunk Contest Debuts | Dime Magazine
- Kobe Bryant No Longer Sick, Ready for All-Star Game | Lakers Nation
- A break from Lin to put focus back on Howard - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- 2012 NBA Dunk Contest: Lakers' Darvin Ham unenthusiastic - latimes.com
- Darvin Ham says he, not Kobe, should've won 1997 dunk contest - latimes.com
- The Weirdest All-Star Snub Story You've Ever Heard - SBNation.com
- Dwight Howard, Jeremy Lin among stories at NBA All-Star weekend - Ian Thomsen - SI.com
- Miller, Nelson top 2012 Hall of Fame finalists - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- Union chief Billy Hunter pleased at halfway point - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- Kyrie Irving Is A Man Amongst Boys; Andrew Bynum Feels DeMarcus Cousins’ Pain | Dime Magazine
- Stern doesn’t own up to aborted Chris Paul trade - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- NBA review entering All-Star Weekend | star, review, season - The Orange County Register
- California investors (and Mike Dunleavy Sr.) frontrunners to buy Hornets | ProBasketballTalk
- Rondo begrudgingly admits to having learned from his recent two-game suspension | ProBasketballTalk
- David Stern defends Dwight Howard’s right to leave Orlando | ProBasketballTalk
- NBA -- Celtics, Thunder, Lakers, Mavericks questions - ESPN
- NBA -- Best of first half - ESPN
- Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose thrilled to lock up long-term deal with adidas - ESPN Chicago
- David Stern says Adam Silver would be a worthy successor as NBA commissioner - ESPN