I wrote this because I'm bored of the fluffy articles about Lebron joining the Kobe system, depressing articles about the fall of Rome, and dumb articles in general. So since the All-Star game is around the corner...here's some ideas for reinventing the game:
People always complain that the stars don't seem to give a crap. They just don't care. The "game" is a bunch of dunks, steals, and turnovers. Kobe always heats up at some point in order to win the MVP somehow. But no one cares. But let's throw out some proposals and see what happens:
1. Pay out half a million to every player on a winning All-star squad. Pay out another .25 million to a starter on the squad. And add another .25 million for the MVP of the game. If you guys don't think these amounts are motivating enough, up the ante. Make it lucrative to win the game. If the game is competitive, the NBA will recoup the money and more anyway.
2. Get rid of the East-West format. Bill Simmons proposed this a while ago. Instead, have the coaches pick two captains. The captains pick their teams like a pickup game of bball. Imagine the possibilities. The intrigue. Make the draft a fan event on day 1 of the weekend. Imagine Kobe and Lebron as captains and picking their squads.
We know Lebron will pick Wade. Kobe will pick Paul. Lebron picks Dwight. Kobe picks Gasol. Lebron picks Bosh. Kobe picks Durant. And since he has been picking second, gets a second pick: Dirk. Lebron picks Rose.
Imagine the possibilties. How about we combine idea 1 and 2?
3. Have the starters play a game of HORSE. I'm just throwing this out there. Would be cool. The winners get to be captains or something.
4. Keep the East-West format - but the conference that wins gets home-court advantage in the Finals. This would be cool. Anyone on a contender will be motivated.
5. Screw the whole game and have a massive 1-1 tournament. Don't tell me this would be INSANELY popular. Imagine the turnout for the Lebron v. Kobe matchup, the Dirk vs. Dwight matchup, etc.