LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 14: Metta World Peace #15 of the Los Angeles Lakers celebrates during the game with the Atlanta Hawks at Staples Center on February 14, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. The Lakers won 86-78. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)
Something happened last night that not many people expected. Kobe Bryant, currently leading the league in points scored at 28.7 PPG, scored 10 points against the Atlanta Hawks. It's his lowest output since 2010. More unexpected than that? The Lakers won the game, 86-79. Most unexpected of all? Despite rumors of tension in the locker room, Metta World Peace rose above it all and dunked the ball, TWICE. This not a joke. He left his feet, and literally dunked the ball. Of course, this doesn't solve the Lakers' real problems, which is low scoring, 4Q struggles and too many minutes for the starters. But it doesn't hurt to know that these guys still have something left in the tank, right?
"I don't know if he doesn't like the organization, I don't know if he wants to go to a bigger city where he can get more endorsement deals, he can do movies. No one really knows the problem."
"You know hopefully he stays, because that arena there is one of the best arenas in the country," O'Neal said. "If he leaves, it'll be a travesty."
"I don't think it was about the Lakers, per se," Cuban said, per ESPN. "I think it was just the way they did the deal, which was ridiculous. I don't think it was about which team. I think it was the fact that, even with the Clippers, we just went through this whole (collective bargaining agreement) and said the incumbent team still has the advantage and then the team the league owns (wimps) out. And look how it's worked out for them.
"Bad management gets you bad results."
↓ More after the jump ↓
- Lakers and Kobe Bryant continue to hit low points, even in victory
- These Lakers really aren't his type
- Lakers may have to attack point-guard deficiencies collectively
- Lakers FYI: Mike Brown, Metta World Peace appear at odds
- Lakers beat Hawks 86-78 behind Gasol's late surge
- Trade demands, rumors, talk, talk, talk ... oh, for 1975 | NBA.com
- Lakers 86, Hawks 78: Feb. 14 Running Diary " Lakers Blog
- NBA.com Notebook: Lakers 86, Hawks 78
- Kobe Bryant and the Lakers are struggling in fourth quarters - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPNLA
- Atlanta Hawks vs. Los Angeles Lakers - Recap - February 14, 2012 - ESPN
- Rapid Reaction: Lakers 86, Hawks 78 - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPNLA
- Hitting NBA headlines -- Gilbert Arenas, J.R. Smith, New York Knicks, more - ESPN
- NBA Basketball Power Rankings - National Basketball Association - ESPN
- Lakers 86, Hawks 78 - Lakers blog
- Fallen star McGrady looking for niche
- Behind the scenes on the Lakers’ 6-game trip
- Kobe 2nd to Kevin Love in NBA minutes per game - Lakers blog
- Lakers show signs of life
- Bryant not getting any rest
- Lakers’ greatest inspiration comes from them all
- Shaquille O'Neal: Dwight Howard leaving Orlando would be 'travesty'
- Picking Magic Johnson over Sidney Moncrief helped L.A., Milwaukee - Jeff Pearlman
- Steve Nash thriving at 38, unlikely to be traded by Phoenix Suns - Sam Amick
- Dallas Mavericks rise to No. 5 in NBA Power Rankings - Britt Robson
- Lakers Utilize Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol to Defeat Hawks in Los Angeles
- Lakers News: World Peace Claims No Problems in Locker-Room
- Lakers Are Running Out of Time, Options
- Michael Jordan Gives Kobe Advice on Fade-Away
- The 5 Players With the Most Heart in the NBA | Dime Magazine
- What’s In The Bag: Derek Fisher Edition | Dime Magazine
- Dime’s Rookie Report: The 10 Best Freshmen In The NBA, Vol. III | Dime Magazine
- SLAM ONLINE | " Shannon Brown: ‘It’s Very Frustrating Sitting on the Bench’
- SLAM ONLINE | " Kobe Bryant on NBA Teams That Didn’t Draft Him
- SLAM ONLINE | " Ben Wallace: ‘This is Definitely My Last Year’
- Forum Blue And Gold " Lakers/Hawks: Taking It Slow On Valentine’s Day
- Report: Lakers don’t have "serious interest" in Gilbert Arenas | ProBasketballTalk
- NBA Power Rankings: Breakdown, Takedown Vol. 9 - CBSSports.com
- Report: Cuban bashes Stern for Chris Paul trade - CBSSports.com
- Jack Nicholson's History Of Sitting Courtside At The Lakers | Complex
- Lakers' Gasol continues to shed 'soft' label