The Lakers have been struggling throughout this entire lockout-shortened season. It's no surprise, considering they're still the only team to have played as many games in as few days as they have. Practice time is short, everything is new and players are wearing down quickly. And contrary to popular belief, Dwight Howard is not the answer to all of their problems, which go much deeper. Can Deron Williams fix what ails this team? Does he want to? Will the Lakers get a chance to find out? And if so, how far will they go this season?
To be a championship-caliber team, you have to be able to win on the road, and the Lakers went into Friday's game at Orlando with a 1-5 road record (including a loss to the Clippers at Staples Center).
The real question is who wants the Big 3? How motivated can any of them be if they’re not competing directly for a championship? Is Paul Pierce going to be more compelled to get into gameshape for a fringe contender? Is Kevin Garnett going to be able to bring the same intensity at this age, or has he burned the fire out? Do you really want to pay Ray Allen to be a spot-up shooter on the perimeter?
↓ More after the jump ↓
- Lakers vs. Pacers, Sunday at 6:30 p.m.
- Five ways to improve the Lakers' offense
- Lakers don't get a day off
- Lakers' Metta World Peace still lacking in productivity
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar relishes becoming cultural ambassador
- Kobe Bryant appears on Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Derrick Caracter practicing with Lakers
- Looking ahead in the NBA
- Former Lakers assistant Brian Shaw isn't dwelling on the past
- New Jersey Nets' Deron Williams has a list of teams he'd go to - ESPN New York
- Team USA's roster in London Olympics? - ESPN
- PodKast: Offensive struggles, roster holes and cars driven by jerks - ESPN Los Angeles
- Lakers offensive woes are fixable - Lakers blog
- SUNDAY PREVIEW: vs Pacers (10-4) - Lakers blog
- Derrick Caracter practices, could see action soon - Lakers blog
- Lakers in Finals? Mychal dreaming
- KCAL/9 Lakers sideline reporter is Mike Trudell - Lakers blog
- Lakers focus on offense
- The Point Forward " Posts Some players showing early progress "
- The Point Forward " Posts Some failing to live up to expectations "
- After beating LA, Magic may call Howard's bluff
- Road woes continue for Lakers in loss to Magic
- Kareem sizes up Bynum- Howard matchup
- World Peace focuses on inspirational goals
- What to do with Andrew Bynum?
- Rumored trade of Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard wouldn't address Lakers' biggest need — a point guard
- Lakers' problems extend beyond loss to LeBron - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- Magic are too good to trade Howard - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- Dwight Howard would like Shaquille O’Neal to ‘get on with his life’ | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- Curry returns after losing 100 pounds - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- Nowitzki will miss 4 games to improve conditioning - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- Nuggets beat Anthony, Knicks in 2 overtimes - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
- Report: Boston’s prepared to "move on" from Big 3
- NBA admits refs missed a huge call at the end of the Pacers’ win over the Warriors
- Weekend Observations 1.21.12: Dead legs and the dirty ground
- Paul Pierce "can’t pay attention" to trade rumors
- Melo says it may be time to ‘re-evaluate everything’ and that you can boo him all you want
- LAKERS: Lakers Gameday | 01/22/12 | Pacers
- Forum Blue And Gold " Discussing Pacers-Lakers
- Pre-Game Report: Lakers Look to Bounce Back Against Indiana Pacers | Lakers Nation
- Nagging Injury Wave Hits N.B.A. Stars - NYTimes.com
- LAKERS NOTEBOOK: Williams could be Lakers' safety Net - LA Daily News
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant Claims Lakers’ Offense "Under Construction" | Lakers Nation
- Lakers Rumors: L.A. Interested in Utah Jazz Guard Devin Harris? | Lakers Nation
- Forum Blue And Gold " A Race Against The Clock
- Last of Blazers' 'Big Three,' Aldridge forges ahead | NBA.com
- Phil Jackson Is Seduced by the Energy of New York - NYTimes.com