"LeBron [James] is a guy who is still learning and still growing, and the reality of it is that being down there with Dwyane Wade has helped him," Brown said. "They're different personalities. LeBron, he's a guy who likes to laugh and joke. He knows obviously there's a time to be serious, but he's youthful.
"Kobe is not as much. Kobe's more serious-minded and so on and so forth. But Kobe knows how to have fun in his own way, too."
There are different ways to take this. There will be some who will claim Kobe is obsessed with himself, that his obsession is a detriment to the team.
It's always been about the "40" with him. Yes, he's super "serious-minded," but to what individual end? For years, Phil Jackson chafed at Bryant for preferring to look the 40-dropping martyr in a loss over a marginalized cog (at least, that's how Kobe probably took it) in a win, and even 15 years into his career Bryant is still working under his same showy, soap-opera guidelines. Every shot has to be the "three … two … one … Bryant for the win …"-type that kids take by themselves while shooting away on the playground.
This is why both men are unsuccessful.
To many, he can do no right. Doesn't shoot efficiently? He's old and losing his ability. Leads the league in scoring? He's a ball hog and hurting the team. In many ways, Kobe and Lebron are on the same boat. Every move, every shot, every free throw, scrutinized endlessly. As a Laker fan, I'm just glad Kobe's still in the conversation. It shows the league is still afraid of him. Unsure of what he is capable of. They criticize because they are insecure of what they believe in. Kobe Bryant defies all convention. Leader in scoring? After 16 years in the league? On a swollen, ugly, torn, wrist? The hell is wrong with him?! All I know is Kobe Bryant is a killer, and it's been entertaining as hell.
More Links after the jump....
- All-Star 2012 First Returns " Lakers Blog
- Bryant’s Scoring Binge " Lakers Blog
- Cavs Preview Podcast: Jeff Phelps " Lakers Blog
- LAKERS: Lakers Gameday | 01/13/12 | Cavaliers
- Lakers Coach Mike Brown to face former team for first time - latimes.com
- Lakers to host Cleveland on Friday - latimes.com
- Andrew Bynum can do the little things while adapting to double teams - latimes.com
- Steve Blake considered day-to-day with rib injury - latimes.com
- Lakers' Bynum leads West centers in All-Star voting - latimes.com
- Kobe Bryant's Nike commercial touts 'Kobe system' - latimes.com
- Lakers reportedly tried trading Pau Gasol for Kevin Love - latimes.com
- Kobe: Wrist is improving and will be ‘fine’ later this season | bryant, wrist, brown - Sports - The Orange County Register
- Lakers Friday preview: vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (5-5) - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Lakers: Blake has rib-area fracture - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Will Andrew Bynum be an All-Star? Looks that way - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- Odom still struggling with changes in life, team - Lakers blog : The Orange County Register
- A stroll through Kobe Bryant's 109 40-point games - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
- Steve Blake day-to-day with rib injury - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
- The McTen: Gasol's dagger 3 jolts Jazz - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
Other Lakers Links:
- The rejuvenation of death " HoopSpeak.com
- SLAM ONLINE | " Kobe Bryant on Raja Bell: ‘He Can’t Stop Me. He Knows That’
- Lakers coach calls Kobe Bryant ‘more serious-minded’ than LeBron James. Well, yeah | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- Kobe Shouldn't Be Doing What He's Doing | January
- Steve Blake Dealing With Rib Injury - Lake Show Life - A Los Angeles Lakers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
- Lakers' Steve Blake has a fracture in rib area - Inside the Lakers
- Can Current Lakers Team Win an NBA Championship? [Video] | Laker Nation
- Lakers All Star News & Kobe Bryant Just Doesn't Think It Matters | Lakers Nation
- Consistency Is Key For Lakers' Guard Steve Blake | Lakers Nation
- Lakers, Jazz Beat Clippers, Heat in Television Ratings | Lakers Nation
- Lakers News: Steve Blake Suffers Costochaondral Fracture | Lakers Nation
- Darius Morris makes official NBA debut, could be seeing more time soon
Around The League:
- Ricky Rubio's success for the Minnesota Timberwolves no surprise - ESPN
- Today in strange J.R. Smith news from China: J.R.’s sister gets in a brawl | ProBasketballTalk
- Kyrie Irving scores a career-high 26 points to lead Cavs to victory over the Suns | ProBasketballTalk
- Report: Rasheed Wallace wants to make NBA comeback | ProBasketballTalk
- Magic, Warriors GM meet, Dwight Howard doesn’t care | ProBasketballTalk
- GS Warriors coach Mark Jackson defends Hack-a-Howard plan | Golden State Warriors | an SFGate.com blog
- Don’t Write Off The Hawks Just Yet " NBA.com | Hang Time Blog
- The dirty secret about Ricky Rubio - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN
- Video: Shaq used a bad word on "Inside the NBA" | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
- Ainge: 'Fair' to say Celtics look too old so far
- LeBron James and the Definition of 'Clutch' - NYTimes.com